A message from our CEO
At National MI, we are guided by our mission, values, and purpose.
Our mission is to help people gain access to housing, and support them as they build value and community for themselves and their families. Our products provide individual borrowers with the assistance they need to access mortgage credit and, in doing so, we help open the door to affordable and sustainable homeownership in communities across the country. We are passionate about our work, and proud of the support we provide and positive impact we have in the lives of so many.
Our values are anchored around partnership, service, integrity and excellence. We believe that as one team – acting together – we can accomplish anything. We have a talented, dedicated and innovative group of employees who support each other and are committed to serving our lender customers with integrity and delivering for their borrowers. We have sought to create an environment where our employees feel energized and valued, where they are rewarded for their important contributions and recognized for their successes.
Our purpose is to serve our customers with distinction, security and success, and to optimize the long-term benefit we provide to our stakeholders through the execution of safe, sound and ethical business practices. Corporate sustainability is one of the ways we put purpose into action.
2022 marked National MI’s ten-year anniversary and, from the beginning, we have focused on building our business in a sustainable manner, with discipline and risk-responsibility at the core. In doing so, we have established National MI as a leader in the U.S. mortgage insurance market and have positioned our company to serve stakeholders with consistency across all market cycles.
After an extended period focused on the COVID pandemic, the past year brought new challenges and further highlighted the importance of our work. Rapidly rising interest rates strained affordability for many aspiring homeowners, persistent inflation introduced added costs and stretched household budgets, and price tension drove house price declines across many local markets. Against this backdrop, we again helped a record number of borrowers and invested to support communities across the country.
Here are some highlights from 2022:
• We helped 225,000 people purchase a home – providing support to borrowers at a time when they needed us most.
• We were recognized as a Great Place to Work® for the seventh consecutive year – a testament to the hard work and dedication of our talented team.
• We advanced our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) through the ongoing work of our Inclusion Committee – further aligning our DEI efforts with our core mission, values and purpose.
• We invested in our communities – fulfilling our philanthropic goals through corporate giving, volunteerism and matching donations.
• We bolstered our risk management framework against an evolving economic backdrop – leading with innovation and success in the risk transfer markets.
• We advanced our technology platform — investing to enhance employee productivity, customer connectivity and cybersecurity protection.
At National MI, we strive to be a sustainable, responsible organization — one that makes a difference in our communities and acts with integrity at all times. This report highlights our best practices and successes across key environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters relevant to our business, including the support we provide to aspiring homeowners, the investments we make in our people and communities, the work we do to advance our DEI commitment, and the focus we bring to governance and sustainable business practices.
I am proud to be part of a mission-driven company that is committed to supporting affordable and sustainable homeownership, and in the process accelerating financial inclusion for all communities. I’m excited for you to learn more about our success as you read this report.
President & Chief Executive Officer
March 29, 2023